Supporting the National Institute of Justice’s (NIJ’s) Development of Equipment Standards
The National Institute of Justice (NIJ) Standards and Testing Program fosters development of equipment standards and related conformity assessment programs that specifically address the needs of law enforcement, corrections, and other criminal justice agencies. The goal is to ensure—to the degree possible—that equipment is safe and reliable, and performs according to established minimum requirements.
The Criminal Justice Testing and Evaluation Consortium (CJTEC) supports these efforts through
- Developing, validating, and maintaining NIJ’s criminal justice equipment standards, including the ballistic- and stab-resistant body armor standards. Activities include developing test methods to address the unique aspects of female body armor and identifying new caliber test threat rounds to address emerging ballistic threats to law enforcement (PDF).
- Providing subject matter/technical experts and coordinating meeting logistics for NIJ’s Special Technical Committees (STCs), which are tasked with developing these standards and ensuring practitioners’ needs are addressed. CJTEC also provides subject matter expert support to the public review and comment of draft standards developed by the STCs. Currently, CJTEC supports the following STCs:
- Ballistic Resistance of Body Armor
- Stab Resistance of Body Armor
- Firearms for Law Enforcement Use
- Semiautomatic Pistols for Law Enforcement Use Draft NIJ Standard-0112.04 (PDF)
- Patrol Rifles for Law Enforcement (PDF)
- Personal Protective Equipment for Use by Law Enforcement Civil Disturbance Units
Assisting NIJ’s efforts to collaborate with other standards development organizations (SDOs) by routinely participating in meetings and symposia held by outside SDOs and relevant industry bodies, such as the American National Standards Institute, ASTM International, National Fire Protection Association, and Safety Equipment Institute. Learn more about these efforts here.
For more information, contact:
Daniel Longhurst, Standards Development Coordinator
Dr. Mark Greene, Division Director, Technology & Standards Division
Brian Montgomery, General Engineer, Technology & Standards Division
Learn about NIJ’s Development of Standards and Test Methods
Learn about NIJ’s Standards and Conformity Assessment Program
Learn about NIJ’s Officer Safety Initiatives
New Ballistic-Resistant Body Armor Standard Forthcoming
Learn about NIJ's Development of Revised Voluntary Equipment Standards