Who We Are
The Criminal Justice Testing and Evaluation Consortium (CJTEC), operated by RTI International, is program funded by the National Institute of Justice (NIJ), the research, development, and evaluation agency of the U.S. Department of Justice.
What We Do
CJTEC staff uses research-based methodologies to enhance the capabilities of law enforcement, courts, and corrections agencies and to understand and test technologies and practices in a variety of NIJ's research areas. As a consortium, CJTEC leverages expertise from varied criminal justice community stakeholders to understand and test technologies and practices in a variety of NIJ's research areas.
National Institute of Justice (NIJ)
The National Institute of Justice (NIJ) is the research, development, and evaluation agency of the U.S. Department of Justice. NIJ is dedicated to improving knowledge and understanding of crime and justice issues through science. NIJ provides objective and independent knowledge and tools to inform the decision-making of the criminal and juvenile justice communities to reduce crime and advance justice, particularly at the state and local levels. For more information, visit www.nij.ojp.gov.
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach—one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world. For more information, visit www.rti.org.
Police Executive Research Forum (PERF)
The Police Executive Research Forum (PERF) is an independent research organization that focuses on critical issues in policing. Since its founding in 1976, PERF has identified best practices on fundamental issues such as reducing police use of force; developing community policing and problem-oriented policing; using technologies to deliver police services to the community; and evaluating crime reduction strategies. PERF strives to advance professionalism in policing and to improve the delivery of police services through the exercise of strong national leadership; public debate of police and criminal justice issues; and research and policy development. For more information, please see https://www.policeforum.org/
International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP)
The International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), a not-for-profit 501c(3) organization headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, is the world’s largest and most influential professional association for police leaders. With more than 32,000 members in over 170 countries, the IACP is a recognized leader in global policing, committed to advancing safer communities through thoughtful, progressive police leadership. Since 1893, the association has been serving communities by speaking out on behalf of law enforcement and advancing leadership and professionalism in policing worldwide. The International Association of Chiefs of Police advances the policing profession through advocacy, research, outreach, and education. The IACP is known for its commitment to enhancing community safety by shaping the future of the police profession. Through timely research, programming, and unparalleled training opportunities, the IACP is preparing current and emerging police leaders—and the agencies and communities they serve—to succeed in addressing the most pressing issues, threats, and challenges of the day. For more information, please see https://www.theiacp.org/
North Carolina State University
North Carolina (NC) State University is a comprehensive research university based in Raleigh, North Carolina, consisting of 12 colleges and 68 departments. Since 1887, we’ve strived to offer world-class teaching and research. Today, we’re ranked in the top 1% of universities on the planet. NC State excels in science, technology, engineering and math. We’re also at the forefront of teaching and research in agriculture, business, design, education, humanities and social sciences, natural resources, textiles, and veterinary medicine. NC State is a research powerhouse that overcomes global challenges and works with industry and government to improve our world. We develop textile technology that helps the human body heal. We raise healthier animals and grow more nutritious crops. We train best-in-class educators and bring history to life through the digital humanities. We architect smarter, more sustainable communities. We engineer efficient energy and upgrade infrastructure. We even use artificial intelligence to predict and respond to natural disasters. Quantum computing. Data analysis. Precision agriculture. CRISPR. Tomorrow’s most advanced fields all have roots right here. For more information, please see https://www.ncsu.edu/
University of Denver
The University of Denver is a private educational institution built on exploration through research and collaboration among educators and students, as well as local and global communities. This spirit of innovation paired with our signature 4D Experience and a core commitment to making a real difference in communities around the world leads to our recognized status as a Very High Research University (or "R1") by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. With nationally recognized academic programs, a history of widespread influence, a forward-looking vision for a 21st century education and a deep commitment to promoting inclusion, we open a world of opportunity to students and empower them to make a difference around the world. For more information, please see https://www.du.edu/
Virginia Tech University
At Virginia Tech, we're reimagining how education and technology intersect. This approach transforms the ways we teach and learn, perform research, and engage with communities around the world. Hokies collaborate with diverse team members and cross the traditional lines between fields and disciplines to tackle global-scale problems. We push the boundaries of knowledge in order to make a difference in the world. Members of the Hokie Nation have a clear vision of how we can serve in our personal, professional, and civic pursuits. We are a force for positive change, driven by our motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). Located in Blacksburg, Virginia, VT is comprised of nine colleges and a graduate school, offering 110 undergraduate and 170 master’s and doctoral degree programs to 37,000 students. VT is ranked 48th in university research in the United States and has an adjacent corporate research center. For more information, please see https://www.vt.edu/
Hundreds of individuals from more than 150 organizations have contributed to CJTEC, including practitioners, researchers, technology developers, government agencies, standards development organizations, and independent test laboratories.
- Central Connecticut State University
- Florida State University's Center for the Study and Promotion of Communities, Families & Children
- Institute of Crime Science, U. Cincinnati (OH)
- Rutgers University
- University of California, Irvine
- Virginia Tech Mid-Atlantic Aviation Partnership
Commercial Test Laboratories
Commercial Test Laboratories
- NTS Chesapeake (MD)
- NTS Wichita (KS)
- Oregon Ballistics Laboratory
- City of Faith (AR) Community Corrections Center
- Florida Department of Corrections
- Illinois Department of Corrections
- Iowa Department of Corrections
- Missouri Department of Corrections
- Ramsey County (MN) Community Corrections
- South Carolina Department of Corrections
- Tennessee Department of Corrections
- Texas Department of Criminal Justice
- Tippecanoe County Community Corrections (IN)
- Clerk of the Superior Court of Maricopa County (AZ)
- Colorado District Attorneys’ Council
- Cuyahoga Co. Prosecutor’s Office (OH)
- Office of Prosecuting Attorney, St. Joseph Co. (IN)
- Office of the Attorney General (MA)
- Administrative Office of the United States Courts
- Combating Terrorism Technical Support Office (CTTSO) now Irregular Warfare Technical Support Directorate (IWTSD)
- Dept. of Defense Cyber Crime Center (DC3)
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- FBI Baltimore (MD) Cyber Task Force
- Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP)
- HSI Cyber Division
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- NIST, including the Standards Coordination Office
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Houston Forensic Science Center (TX)
- NC DHHS Division of Public Health, Forensic Tests for Alcohol
- NC State Crime Laboratory
- Wisconsin Law Enforcement Death Response Team
- Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene
- Austin (TX) Police Dept.
- Bedford (NH) Police Dept.
- Boca Raton (FL) Police Dept.
- Boone Co. (MO) Sheriff's Office
- Brunswick Co. (VA) Sheriff's Office
- Calgary Police Commission (Canada)
- City of Vallejo (CA) Police Dept.
- Colorado Springs (CO) Police Dept.
- Fairfax Co. Police (VA)
- Fauquier Co. (VA) Sheriff’s Office
- Fort Worth (TX) Police Dept.
- Greenville Co. (SC) Dept. of Public Safety
- Hollis (NH) Police Dept.
- Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime (London, UK)
- Maryland State Police
- Metropolitan Police Dept. of the District of Columbia
- Michigan State Police
- McMinnville (OR) Police Dept.
- Montgomery Co. (MD) Police Dept.
- Montpelier (VT) Police Dept.
- New York City (NY) Police Dept.
- Oklahoma City (OK) Police Dept.
- Omaha (NE) Police Dept.
- Phoenix (AZ) Police Dept.
- Pinole (CA) Police Dept.
- Roseville (CA) Police Dept.
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police National Traffic Services
- San Diego (CA) Police Dept.
- Seattle (WA) Police Dept.
- South Tucson (AZ) Police Dept.
- Tempe (AZ) Police Dept.
- Tucson (AZ) Police Dept.
- Utah Attorney General’s Office
- Utah Highway Patrol
- Virginia State Police
- Voorhees Police Dept.
- American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors (ASCLD)
- Computer Crimes and Digital Evidence Committee, IACP
- Center for Court Innovation
- Center for Policing Equity
- Polis Solutions
Standards Development Organizations
Standards Development Organizations
- ASTM International
- American Dictation Corporation
- Apex Mobile
- Axon Enterprises
- CSR, Incorporated
- Design Interactive
- Energous Corporation
- Erin Technology
- Grit Digital Health
- Guardian Score
- Know Your Force
- Lighthouse Health and Wellness
- Matador Law Enforcement Technologies
- Motorola Solutions
- Nuance Communication
- Ocular Data Systems
- Officer Survey
- PERCA Index
- PMI Evidence Tracker
- Pokket (Acivilate)
- Police Smart Card
- PowerCast Corp
- Premier Biotech
- Progressive Microtechnology
- Reality in Virtual Reality (RiVR) Limited
- Siemens Industry
- Socrates Software
- Software Design Solutions
- Speech Processing Solutions USA
- Velan Solutions