The National Institute of Justice Compliance Testing Program (NIJ CTP) is a product conformity assessment program that is closely aligned with the requirements of ISO/IEC 17065:2012, Conformity assessment—Requirements for bodies certifying products, processes and services.
NIJ CTP Conformity Assessment System
Rules that the NIJ CTP applies for carrying out certification are documented in the NIJ CTP Conformity Assessment System. This system contains general requirements that apply to all products in a top-level document and detailed requirements for specific product categories in subordinate scheme documents.
- 606.1 NIJ CTP Product Conformity Assessment System—General Requirements, Version 1.2 (PDF)
- 606.2.1 NIJ CTP Product Conformity Assessment System—Ballistic Body Armor Initial Type Testing (ITT) Scheme, Version 1.1 (PDF)
- 606.2.2 NIJ CTP Product Conformity Assessment System—Ballistic Body Armor Follow-up Inspection and Testing (FIT) Scheme, Version 1.3 (PDF)
- 606.4 NIJ CTP Product Conformity Assessment System—Autoloading Pistol Scheme, Version 2.1 (PDF)
National Institute of Justice Compliance Testing Program Administrative Clarifications
The NIJ CTP issues administrative clarifications to address administrative issues, clarify test procedures, or introduce revised test methods for unique armor designs. The complete listing of administrative clarifications can be found here. Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the administrative clarifications because they provide updated guidance about many issues of interest.
National Institute of Justice Compliance Testing Program Applicant Agreements and Forms
Applicants who participate in the voluntary compliance testing program for ballistic-resistant armor (NIJ Standard-0101.06) fill out all agreements, forms, and supporting documentation electronically through the NIJ CTP’s Testing Information Management System (TIMS). Click here to learn more about TIMS.
Applicants who participate in the voluntary compliance testing programs for autoloading pistols (NIJ Standard-0112.03, Revision A) or stab-resistant body armor (NIJ Standard-0115.00) need to download and fill out the following agreements and forms as part of their participation in the program (please refer to the specific CTP program page for more details on how to submit the forms):
- NIJ CTP Applicant Agreement (for Autoloading Pistols)
- NIJ CTP Authorized Representatives Notification